Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Depression


Click image to enlarge
Despite what our discussion may lead you to believe, I actually believe in Keynesian Economics. His contributions to the New Deal were a vital part in turning the country around in the Great Depression. Also, while John Maynard Keynes was a tall man, he wasn't quite this tall. This is just an exaggerated figment of my imagination.

I've always loved the anecdote of Keynes saying that you should pay one group to dig a ditch, and another group to come fill it in. While it seems frivolous and silly (because it is), it serves the point that he believed you had to pour cash in at the lowest level in order to restart the economy. In reality, the WPA produced some fantastic works. While there are murals and buildings, my favorite works have been their storm drains and sidewalks. These things were built in the 1930s and 1940s, and they're still intact. Nobody makes them like this anymore.

This is my first comic completed entirely on the computer using my new pen tablet. This probably comes out the best in the lines, which are a lot smoother than I could achieve when I was putting my inks through the scanner. I also broke from my usual monochromatic structure for this one. I hope you like it anyhow!

No comments:

Post a Comment